For a while now I’ve been planning a couple of little sewing projects. This weekend I finally stopped procrastinating and just did them.
On Saturday, I made a skirt for me. From start to finish. Drafting the pattern and everything. I keep buying fabric with skirts in mind, but have been really nervous about drafting my own pattern, even with a great reference book to hand. But really it was simple… four measurements, some simple maths and hey presto, I’ve got a pattern for an a-line skirt! For about 5 seconds I thought about making a muslin, but really the denim fabric I used was so cheap I just jumped right in. Some tweaking was required, and its still not 100% right, but I now have a totally wearable skirt. So wearable I wore it yesterday!
I kept it simple; no pockets, just a back zipper and some pre-made bias binding around the waist edge (you can’t see it here but its red/white striped!). I thought about attempting a facing at the waist but the denim is so sturdy I was wary of adding extra bulk, especially around the zipper. Maybe next time. I’ll add pockets too, and maybe some buttons because, you know, I like buttons.
Sunday morning Ollie had swimming, and while he was out I took the opportunity to do some big boy craft with the big boys. I saw this tutorial a while ago, and thought it looked like fun. And it was. One day we’ll try the cushion idea in the tutorial, but for this time I had some plain singlets that needed customising…
First, Sam and Archie workshopped their designs. It was a dinosaur kind of day.
Then they picked some fun fabrics, and I ironed the special adhesive stuff on the back.
Next they got to play with scissors, cutting out the shapes.
A bit of stitching around the outside and some buttons and they’re nearly done!
Archie and Sam were so proud of their cool new singlets, and I am so proud of my clever creative boys!