After all the indecision over what to knit with my beautiful green Spud and Chloe, I eventually settled on this:
Its Drifting by Cecily Glowik MacDonald. It fits my brief perfectly: cute, simple, lightweight. Perfect for spring. And after some initial issues with the pattern (more on that later) it was drifting along beautifully. Until I realised I can’t count. In my attempt to resolve my pattern issues I adjusted the number of cast on stitches, and somehow managed to add an extra 10. Oops. Worse still I only noticed last night, when it was time to separate the sleeves. I am such an idiot. Ho hum. There will be frogging tonight…
My issues with pattern? It’s just plain lazy. The raglan increases are not paired and there’s a single m1 fudge before the final ribbing to get an odd number, when it would have been simple to use an odd number for the back of the cardigan in the first place. I would probably be more understanding if it was a freebie, but I expected better from a pattern I paid for, even if it was just $6US.
The increases were a revelation though. They’re created by knitting into the stitch below. I’ve never used the technique before, and it took some jiggling to work out a mirrored version to satisfy my desire for symmetry, but I’m so glad I didn’t just abandon it in favour of the usual m1 l/r.
And some sewing, because my guys went to a birthday party last weekend and I leapt at the chance to make something girly for a change.
Technical difficulties with sewing machine (I broke my last needle!) meant I had to hand stitch the applique, but with a glass of red and Richard Roxbough on the telly it was pretty painless. And so so satisfying.