A while ago I started a little vest for my littlest boy. With fairisle dinosaurs chasing each other round and around. The pattern is my own, based on dimensions needed to fit over a size 2-3 tee shirt. I charted the t-rex pattern last year, when Sam wanted a beanie with dinosaurs. The peerie was something I found on Ravelry when I first looked for a dino chart. How cute are those tiny little brachiosauruses?!
Yesterday morning I finally sewed in all the ends, and the buttons. They’re oddments from the button box, but Ollie doesn’t mind. I think he likes his new vest!
This was a really fun thing to knit. Fairisle, steeks (four of them!), interesting ribbing. And quick. Oh how I love toddler knits.
In particular I really, really enjoyed cutting all those steeks. A strange knitted thing becomes a wearable garment in four easy (if slightly scary) snips…
One thing I’d do better next time is the open shoulder. I always do small people vests with buttons over one shoulder, my boys have big heads and we’ve been caught out before. I did a three-needle bind off for the fixed shoulder, then knit back and forth for a few rows before binding off the open shoulder. Then I cut the steeks. This made the shoulder quite bulky, with the overlapping buttonhole, AND overlapping steeks. In hindsight I should have bound-off straight away, cut the steeks then picked up the stitches needed for the overlapping buttonhole bands. Oh well. It looks a bit better now after a steam block with a heavy iron. And Ollie doesn’t mind. But next time I’ll do it better.
Everybody roar, like a dinosaur!